No matter what platform or browser you are using GMail on, you would not want to miss out important Gmail notifications. Here's how to enable Gmail notifications on your computer, Android or iOS device.
Before activating Gmail notifications on your Desktop (Chrome, Safari, or Firefox), you need to ensure that your browser does allow notifications to be displayed at all.
- Click on the menu icon (three vertical dots) on the right side of the address bar
- Now click on “Settings“.
- You need to scroll down to click on “Advanced” and then “Content Settings“.
- When you click on it, you will observe “Notifications” as an option. Now, click on it to check what notifications have been blocked and what has been allowed. If Gmail notifications aren’t in the blocked list, you should keep the notifications option set to “Ask before send” – change it if it is blocked.
- Type in – “about:preferences#content” in the address bar.
- Just make sure that “Do not Disturb me” is not ticked as shown in the image below.
- Click on the Notification Center icon at the right end of the menu bar of your browser.
- In the preferences of Safari, make sure that – “Allow websites to ask for permission to send push notifications”- is selected.
After you make sure that your web browser is ready to display notifications, you should head to Gmail.com and follow the easy steps mentioned below:
- Click on the gear icon to find the Gmail settings option.
- Scroll down through the options to find “Click here to enable notifications“. You may be prompted to allow the notifications as a pop-up, accept it. Also, make sure the notifications are set to follow the rule “New Mail Notifications on” which is here Off by default (as shown in the image below).
Enabling Gmail notifications on your iPhone or iPad depends on what you are using. If you are using a browser, the method will be same as the ones mentioned above. If you are using the Gmail app, here’s how you can do that:
- Launch Gmail app from your homescreen.
- Tap on the hamburger icon (menu icon) that looks like this – Menu.
- Scroll down, then tap on Settings.
- Select your account and then head to Notifications.
- Finally select the type of mail notifications you want. In this case, you want to select – All New Mail.
The same here as on iOS devices. If you are using a browser, follow the same method as the one mentioned for desktop. If you are using the Gmail app, follow the one mentioned for iOS devices.