Facebook presents 2017 Year in Review highlighting the top ways people came together on Facebook to support one another.
First, people came together to react and talk about important moments and events that happened around the world. The top three moments that people discussed globally in 2017 were:
- International Women’s Day: This was the No. 1 most talked about moment in 2017, doubling from last year, with people around the world talking, sharing and posting in celebration of women and related issues.
- Super Bowl 51: Fans around the world turned to News Feed to cheer for their favorite teams, celebrate with Lady Gaga and debate the top TV ads, with more than 262 million views of Super Bowl-related videos on the platform.
- Las Vegas Violence: This tragic incident drove conversation around the world, which in turn motivated more than 3,300 people to offer help to their community through our Crisis Response tools on Facebook.
Second, people came together to support one another in times of crisis. 2017 was a difficult year with natural disasters and violence around the world, but it was inspiring to see people help each other when they needed it most. The top three moments where we saw people come to each other’s aid were:
- Earthquake in Mexico: The response to this crisis in late September drove the highest number of total interactions within Crisis Response on Facebook of the year, with millions of people marking themselves safe, offering help to their community or donating to the cause.
- Hurricane Harvey: In late August, the community rallied to help those in need by raising more than $20 million in the biggest fundraising effort for a single crisis in 2017 on Facebook.
- One Love Manchester: The most viewed video and live broadcast on Facebook in 2017, this benefit concert generated over 80 million views and raised more than $450,000 for those affected by the Manchester terror attack.
Finally, people used Facebook to get together in person. The top two ways people connected through these offline moments by creating Events on Facebook were:
- Total Solar Eclipse: This celestial moment in August brought the world together through more than 20,000 Facebook Events in more than 80 countries.
- Women’s March on DC: On January 21, The Women’s March on DC brought over 500,000 people together through the largest Facebook event for a single cause in 2017.
Your Year In Review
You may see a personalized video in your News Feed. This video includes moments from this past year that you’ve shared or been tagged in, and compiles them in a short video that can be edited and shared. You can access your video by visiting facebook.com/yearinreview.